Saturday, February 28, 2009

Feeling left out

It is already one and half years since we moved down to Richmond Hill from Bloomington, IN. However, I have feeling strange still sometimes. My girls had difficult time to adjust last year and I thought they are settled more in this "adjusting" period. However, I became a little worried after I had a moment with my Christine last night. She asked suddenly in out of blue, " mom, are there any Korean around here nearby?" I asked "Why". " I have been feeling lonely and left out". I immediately questioned"Where? from whom?" She did not answer me but shared that she misses her Korean friends in Indiana. I have felt very guilty that I neglected that area of their lives. I have been praying for their good adjustment, friendship, and being focused in school works. However, I never thought that they miss so called "Korean friends". It might have been from my belief that they are Korean-american, they are not totally Korean like me. I want to believe that they don't have difficulties to get along with others, Americans, in every single area. I honestly don't want to believe that they are different with others. It is from my bitter experience. Joanne is more like a typical American kid and she does not know why people consider her as a "Korean". She does not want to speak Korean at home even though she loves Korean food. However, Christin grew up in diversity more than Joanne. Also, she could write, read, and speak Korean well. She went to Korean school for several years. It is very hard to teach them have a right identity as "Korean-american". I honestly don't know how to even because I did not grow up as Korean-american. I am fully Korean. I am afraid of that what if I mis-lead them into a wrong way. How could I teach my kids that differences are good things and how could I let them feeling "home" in anywhere they go? How could I teach them wisely? I do not want them to grow with a sense of inferiority because they are different. Everyone is different. That is the true beauty of creation of God. None of creatures by God is same. How could I teach them that it is good thing to be different? I found out myself that I have felt lonely or left out often. I did not realize that I miss my Korean friends honestly. I was aware of that I miss my family and friends generally. However, I have thought for last night and today that I might miss my Korean friends like Christine does. Hmmm....Maybe I have not been honest to my feeling lately. I am going to pray and ask Him for His wisdom and healing if there are any hurting or pain among us because we are different.

No comments: